Graduation Requirements

High School Graduation Requirements

To graduate from high school, unless otherwise exempted, each student is responsible for:

  1. Completing all District graduation requirements.
  2. All students are required to complete 25 credits to graduate.
  3. Passing an examination on patriotism and principles of representative government, proper use of the flag, methods of voting, and the Pledge of Allegiance.
  4. Taking designated state testing.
  5. Earning twenty (20) hours of community service, with 5 hours being completed by end of the school year in each year of high school.
Students Entering the 9th Grade
  1. Four years of English which include Language Arts and writing practice.
  2. Three consecutive years (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior Years) of Mathematics, one of which must be Algebra I and one of which must include Geometry content.
  3. Three consecutive years (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior Years) of Science, one of which must be a Physical Science and one must be Biology.
  4. Three years of Social Studies, of which at least one year must be History of the United States, at least half of one year must be Civics.
  5. Four years of Physical Education.
  6. Two years chosen from (A) Music, (B) Art, (C) Foreign Language, (D) Business, (E) Approved Elective.
  7. One half year of Consumer Education
  8. One half year of Computer Literacy
  9. One half year of Health, which must include CPR training.
  10. Beginning with the 2021 graduating class, one year of foreign language will be required..
Graduation Requirements
  1. A student must take five classes each term to be a student at WHS.
  2. A student must have all school bills and accounts paid in full.
  3. A student must purchase a district-approved cap and gown.
  4. A student must meet all graduation requirements in order to participate in the graduation ceremony.

The above requirements do not apply students with disabilities whose course of study is determined by an Individualized Education Program.


What do I need to bring to fill out my FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available October 1st of every year.

It must be filled out as soon as possible for the student to be eligible to receive financial aid.

*** Go to to fill out the form ***

What you will need:


  • Social Security Number
  • Driver’s License Number
  • Tax form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
  • W-2
  • Recent Bank Statements


(A Parent is defined as the biological parent or step-parent of the student or an adopted parent. A legal guardian does not qualify as a parent)

  • Social Security Number
  • Birthdates
  • Marriage/Divorce/Separation Date
  • Tax Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
  • W-2
  • Recent Bank Statements

An Independent Student is defined as:

  • Born before January 1, 1988
  • Married or separated by not divorced
  • Achieved 1st Bachelor’s Degree by July 1, 2012 or working on a 2nd Bachelor’s Degree or Graduate program work.
  • Is on active military duty or is a honorably discharged veteran
  • Has a child that will receive more than 51% of their support between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012
  • Has a dependent that the student provides more than 51% of support to.
  • Is an emancipated minor
  • Have you been placed in legal guardianships by the court since age 13
  • Both Parents are deceased since age 13
  • At any time since age 13 the student has been a ward of the court
  • *At any time on or after July 1, 2010 the student has been deemed homeless or unaccompanied youth by a homeless liaison, director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determined that the student was at-risk at of being homeless

Questions?? Call me!

How to use the IRS website for FAFSA filing

How to Use the IRS Retrieval Database to Update My FAFSA?

The IRS Retrieval Database is a tool that links electronically filed taxes to your FAFSA.

  1. Fill out FAFSA using your last year taxes (when using this option please select WILL FILE)
  2. Electronically file your taxes for the current year
  3. The IRS Retrieval Database is available Feb 1 of every year
  4. Wait 7-10 days after electronically filing to update your FAFSA
  5. Go to
  6. Click START HERE
  7. Follow the steps for accessing your FAFSA
  8. The webpage will ask you if you would like to use the IRS Retrieval Database click yes
  9. The IRS webpage will open as a new window
  10. At the bottom of the page it will ask you if you would like to import information to you FAFSA- select this option
  11. Click on the button that says Import to FAFSA
  12. You should be directed back to
  13. Check that the information has imported to your FAFSA
  14. Electronically Sign the FAFSA using your PIN
  15. Resubmit your FAFSA

Questions?? Call me!

Additional Information

JWCC Scholarships

If you are committed to going to John Wood Community College following graduation, there are a lot of scholarships. The deadline for the scholarships to be received in the JWCC office is MARCH 1st.

There is an application and directory in my office. Please see me.

Transcript REQUESTS!

Juniors and Seniors:

If you would like me to send a transcript please fill out the form in the box next to my door. You MUST provide the address to the school. If you want to pick it up-please indicate so. Thanks.

Attention Wood Talent Search Participants!

JWCC Talent Search Kids: You are able to get a waiver to pay for your ACT and can get reimbursed for college visits up to $60 a year. So if you are going to look at a college please take note of your mileage and keep receipts! Every little bit adds up!