Western High School
High School Graduation Requirements
To graduate from high school, unless otherwise exempted, each student is responsible for:
- Completing all District graduation requirements.
- All students are required to complete 25 credits to graduate.
- Passing an examination on patriotism and principles of representative government, proper use of the flag, methods of voting, and the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Taking designated state testing.
- Earning twenty (20) hours of community service, with 5 hours being completed by end of the school year in each year of high school.
Students Entering the 9th Grade in the 2017-2018 School Year
- Four years of English which include Language Arts and writing practice.
- Three consecutive years (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior Years) of Mathematics, one of which must be Algebra I and one of which must include Geometry content.
- Three consecutive years (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior Years) of Science, one of which must be a Physical Science and one must be Biology.
- Three years of Social Studies, of which at least one year must be History of the United States, at least half of one year must be Civics.
- Four years of Physical Education.
- Two years chosen from (A) Music, (B) Art, (C) Foreign Language, (D) Business, (E) Approved Elective.
- One half year of Consumer Education
- One half year of Computer Literacy
- One half year of Health, which must include CPR training.
- Beginning with the 2021 graduating class, one year of foreign language will be required..
- A student must take five classes each term to be a student at WHS.
- A student must have all school bills and accounts paid in full.
- A student must purchase a district-approved cap and gown.
- A student must meet all graduation requirements in order to participate in the graduation ceremony.
The above requirements do not apply students with disabilities whose course of study is determined by an Individualized Education Program.